www.gurzebooks.com- Gurze Books is a publishing company that specializes in eating disorders publications and education since 1980.
www.learnpsychology.org/mental-health/eating-disorders/--This in-depth guide explains what eating disorders are, how to spot the signs among peers, and what treatment are available for those experiencing a disorder.
www.bedaonline.com--Binge Eating Disorder Association offers help and support for those struggling specifically with BED
www.accreditedschoolsonline.org-- a comprehensive guide intended for the Health, Nutrition, and Education communities. Developed with college students in mind, it is intended to help students receive the help they need.
25-40% OF PEOPLE WITH EATING DISORDERS ARE MALES
1. 25-40% of people with eating disorders are males (Hudson, 2007).
2. As many men as women want to change their weight (Andersen, 2000).
3. Men engage in eating-disordered behaviors nearly as often as women (Mond, 2013).
4. Eating disorders assessment tests underscore males (Darcy, 2014).
5. Additionally, prevalence of eating disorders in males is greater than estimated because men are often too stigmatized to seek treatment for “women’s problems.” (Cohn, 2013)
6. Despite popular beliefs, eating disorders have never been “women’s diseases,” and professionals in the field are realizing this fact more and more (Cohn, 2014).
7. The earliest case descriptions of anorexia nervosa by Richard Morton in 1690 included cases of a man and a woman (Andersen, 2014).
8. Media objectification and sexualization of males is just as rampant as for females (Cohn, 2013).
9. A high percentage of comorbid conditions exist for males in treatment, such as excessive exercise, poor body image, and issues with sexuality (Weltzin, 2014)
10. Attention to gender dynamics is critical in the process of treatment (Bunnell, 2014).