http://www.something-fishy.org/ - An excellent web resource dedicated to raising awareness and providing support to people with eating disorders and their loved ones.
https://https//www.edcatalogue.com/ Gurze Salucore is a publishing company that has specialized in eating disorders publications and since 1980. Catalogue and printed guides are all FREE.
www.eatingdisorderscoalition.org - Eating Disorders Coalition For Research, Policy, and Action: works with Congress to influence federal policy and advance the federal recognition of eating disorders and a public health priority.
25-40% OF PEOPLE WITH EATING DISORDERS ARE MALES
1. 25-40% of people with eating disorders are males (Hudson, 2007).
2. As many men as women want to change their weight (Andersen, 2000).
3. Men engage in eating-disordered behaviors nearly as often as women (Mond, 2013).
4. Eating disorders assessment tests underscore males (Darcy, 2014).
5. Additionally, prevalence of eating disorders in males is greater than estimated because men are often too stigmatized to seek treatment for “women’s problems.” (Cohn, 2013)
6. Despite popular beliefs, eating disorders have never been “women’s diseases,” and professionals in the field are realizing this fact more and more (Cohn, 2014).
7. The earliest case descriptions of anorexia nervosa by Richard Morton in 1690 included cases of a man and a woman (Andersen, 2014).
8. Media objectification and sexualization of males is just as rampant as for females (Cohn, 2013).
9. A high percentage of comorbid conditions exist for males in treatment, such as excessive exercise, poor body image, and issues with sexuality (Weltzin, 2014)
10. Attention to gender dynamics is critical in the process of treatment (Bunnell, 2014).